Campus prepares for Trump’s arrival

Keller Goldstein
Coastal Carolina’s no political affiliation sign with Trump Campaign Signs in the background.

Updated Feb. 10 at 9:32 a.m.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump will host a campaign rally at the HTC Center on Saturday, Feb. 10 at 2 p.m., according to his official campaign website. 

According to Chief of Staff Travis E. Overton, Coastal Carolina University was contacted by Trump’s campaign to use the HTC building. He said Coastal is not paying, and cannot pay, for entities to come and rent building space. Since Coastal is a state institution, those unaffiliated with the University can rent space if they agree to follow institutional policies. 

All security involved, including Secret Service, is provided and paid for by Trump’s campaign, according to Overton. He said the University does not use their own funds to pay for this.  

Overton didn’t provide The Chanticleer the exact amount Trump’s campaign paid the University to use the HTC facility. However, he said the amount is a set charge that is the same for any other political event, including the Nikki Haley rally that took place on campus in the Williams-Brice Physical Education Center just last month. 

There will be a “designated free speech zone” at the event, located across the HTC Center at the track and field lot, for attendees to counter protest the event.

He said University policy states that students or student organizations who want to protest should contact the Office of Student Life regarding time, place and manner. In other instances, external entities or individuals should contact the scheduling and event services for consultation to reserve space at least two weeks before the event when applicable. 

An email from University Marketing and Communication was sent out at 9:48 p.m. on Feb. 7, which referred to Trump’s rally as a “political campaign event,” warned students of increased security and parking restrictions.  

Wendy Weinhold, associate professor of Communication, Media and Culture and First Amendment expert, said she believes the community has the opportunity to engage in dialogue and hopes the events happen safely and according to plan. 

“That’s part of the responsibility of being a member of the public have– engaging in dialogue,” she said. “So that’s what this weekend offers us, the opportunity to do right, and I hope that everyone handles it well.” 

Trump’s campaign is aware of the fact that the HTC building has a 3,000-person capacity, however, Overton is unaware of how many tickets are being sold. 

The parking map that was sent to faculty, staff and students on Feb. 8 detailed where they can park the weekend of the event. Vehicles will be towed if parked in lots AA and DD after 7 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 9, according to the map. 

Overton said CCU has not received requests to sell Trump paraphernalia at the event. 

There are no universitywide plans to cancel any classes on Friday, Feb. 9, the day before the event.