Myrtle Beach man arrested for shooting near campus

Conway faces second apartment complex shooting in three-month span

20-year-old Savion Jordan Pinckney of Myrtle Beach was arrested on Monday, Jan. 15 for firing a gun at The Cove at University Place, a University-affiliated apartment complex located along S.C. 544.  

Pinckney was faced with two charges, one for discharging a firearm in the city and another for possession of a handgun on school property. He was sent to J. Reuben Long Detention Center just after 9:30 a.m. and was released around 1:30 p.m. the next day after paying over $7,000.  

Coastal Carolina University’s alert system sent out a message at 5:12 a.m. on Jan. 15, detailing a police incident at The Cove. Two more messages followed, one just after 5:30 a.m. and another at 7:18 a.m. The first stated that there was no threat to campus but to avoid the area, and a second indicating it was clear to resume normal operations. 

CCU’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) responded to the incident after receiving a report of possible shots fired, according to their incident report. The report also said one public safety officer was parked in the YY parking lot across the street from The Cove around the time of the shooting and said he had heard what sounded like fireworks coming from the apartment complex.  

The incident report confirmed Pinckney was not a Coastal student and no injuries were reported.