Murdaugh’s jury changes trajectory of case

Alex+Murdaugh+was+seen+in+court+Jan.+16+at+the+Richland+County+Courthouse+for+a+rehearing+procedure+of+the+state+against+Richard+Alexander+Murdaugh.++
Riley Lehman
Alex Murdaugh was seen in court Jan. 16 at the Richland County Courthouse for a rehearing procedure of the state against Richard Alexander Murdaugh.

Murdaugh was indicted for the murder of his wife and son with related weapons charges. His lawyer, Dick Harpootlian, filed a conviction for his case to be suspended and conduct a new trial. 

Judge Jean Toal held a status conference to address the jury for tampering with allegations. Court of Clerk Becky Hill is set to testify in a cross-examination to determine if she did tamper with the jury. 

“She had conversations with the four waiting outside with the rest of the jury about what was going on in the jury room,” Harpootlian said. 

During this conference, Murdaugh’s lawyers also brought up concerns of communicating with their client while he is incarcerated. The judge denied this claim, following executive orders. 

“Murdaugh has been unable to view any of the discarded material in this case because the confidentiality order prohibits us to distribute it to him while he’s in jail,” Harpootlian said. “There’s nobody to go sit with him at the jail, and the time is limited as to when those people can visit.”