Trump rallies in large crowd to campus

Former president gave remarks in opposition to Biden, Haley
Jacob Bashura
Former President Donald Trump chose to host his “Get Out the Vote” rally in the HTC Center Feb. 10, with less than a week’s notice to the Coastal Carolina University community.

Former President Donald Trump spoke for over one-and-a-half hours at his “Get Out the Vote” rally at the HTC Center on Saturday, Feb. 10.

Trump supporters in attendance wore all kinds of Trump merchandise. Certain slogans such as: “MAGA,” “Let’s Go Brandon,” “Jesus Is My Savior, Trump Is My President” were visible on clothing.

Chief of Staff Travis Overton said on Thursday, Feb. 8 that Coastal Carolina University did not receive requests to sell Trump paraphernalia near the event. However, a stand selling merchandise was set up off campus across Founders Drive that began on Friday morning.

The HTC Center has a capacity of 3,000 people, and every seat was taken, leaving only standing room for some. All ages were in attendance. Senior citizens, students and small children were in the crowd. Rory Britt-Tripp, junior, said she arrived at 7:30 a.m.

“I’ve never been to a political event like this,” she said. “I don’t think anything has happened here before, and I’m just excited.”

Freshman Talon Collins said he followed politics a couple years ago and came to check out what was going to be said.

“I kind of, like, found a few of my values shared with Trump,” he said. “He puts America first… I just kind of wanted to come here and see, like, what he has to say.”

Trump flew his private jet plane into the Myrtle Beach International Airport. S.C. Highway 544 closed prior to and after the event to protect the former president’s access point to campus.

Reps. Michael Waltz and Russell Fry, Lt. Gov. Pam Evette and Gov. Henry McMaster gave opening remarks in support of Trump. Then, Trump took the stage at 2:30 p.m. He was met with cheers from his supporters in attendance.

He spoke about his primary wins in several states. He also mentioned his former presidential accomplishments when he said he built up the military and the economy.

He referred to the press in the back of the building as “fake news,” while the crowd booed.

He repeated this statement several times.

His speech also consisted of criticizing President Joe Biden, giving him the nickname “Crooked Joe.” He said President Biden is the worst president in history.

“I don’t think he knows what the hell he’s doing anyways,” Trump said.

As well as criticism toward Biden, he also criticized his competition in the primaries, Presidential Candidate Nikki Haley, referring to her as “Tricky Nikki.”