Team win, win for kids

Men’s basketball pulls off win on Kids’ Day

Coastal Carolina University’s men’s basketball team faced off against Marshall University’s Thundering Herd for their Kids’ Day game on Feb. 17, where fans received one free youth ticket for every purchase of an adult ticket.

Kids could enjoy fun activities before the game, including drawing their favorite players or playing a game of inflatable skee ball donated by Big Air Myrtle Beach. Additional booths were set up by the Horry County Police Department, Fire Rescue, Impact Chiropractic and Healthy Blue SC to help distribute pamphlets and toys.

Director of Marketing and Gameday Experience Cliff Bonner said he has instituted this marketing strategy in the past with both the men’s and women’s basketball teams. It has had enormous success, according to Bonner.

We try to improve attendance while also providing support for our community members and student athletes,” Bonner said. CCU maintained a small but consistent lead throughout the game. They finished with a 74- 67 victory over Marshall despite multiple adjustments and free throws.

Graduate student and center John Ojiako’s 10.4 rebound average and freshman guard Jacob Meyer, who scored 21 points, were the main contributors to the victory.

Alumna Julia Paterson, a 2013 CCU graduate, said she was extremely grateful for the event. Her daughter, a cheerleader for South Carolina Cheer Clinic, was even able to perform in the halftime show.

“We really like doing things for the community and being part of the events in the community and that would be great to have more things for kids,” Paterson said.

Families were encouraged to join Maddey’s Kids Club, which offers free admission to athletic events for ages 12 and under, excluding football and select baseball games.

The Rowdy Rooster Basketball Pep Band and its members, including freshman alto saxophone player Connor Shelley, were there to entertain fans. Shelley said it’s great to have support for the band.

“It has been an awesome event here lately, Coastal won today. After the first half, it was a little rough, but in the second half, we came back,” Shelley said. “We are really great and hope to see everybody at the next home game.”