A semester in reflection

What a semester. 

It started when Brooke and I had to put together our first issue on Sept. 14 on Adobe InDesign, a software we had never experienced before. Now, The Chanticleer was able to have five published issues, prior to this one, packed with meaningful stories. 

As your editor-in-chief, it has been an honor this semester to serve the Coastal Carolina University community by delivering reliable news from your fellow student journalist peers. The ups and downs of life in a newsroom make us each stronger in the end, from our reporters to desk editors to the executive staff of The Chanticleer. 

Our newsroom has been a hub of creativity and collaboration, with journalists tackling issues that matter, sparking conversations, and bringing diverse perspectives to the forefront. We’ve covered stories that touched our hearts, challenged our beliefs, and inspired change. It’s a testament to the dedication of our reporters, editors and art director that we’ve been able to deliver compelling content week after week. 

Thanks to your feedback, encouragement and engagement, it reveals to me what an impact our journalists have on this campus. It’s because of you, dear reader, that we can do our jobs to disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed. 

To my team: thank you. You all put up with my sporadic whiteboard writing, cheesy headlines and constant pop culture references. 

If you’ve been looking for a sign to join The Chanticleer, this is it. I welcome any student who has a passion for storytelling, dedication to truth and a hunger for detail to our newsroom. 

We are the student voice of Coastal Carolina University. 

See you next semester, 

Madison Sharrock 

Editor-in-Chief