Chants outrun Herd

Redshirt+Freshman+Ethan+Vasko+in+the+tunnel.+
jacob bashura
Redshirt Freshman Ethan Vasko in the tunnel.

The Chanticleers outran the Marshall University Thundering Herd 34-6, in front of a record 21,324 fans at their homecoming game Oct. 28.  

As a result of redshirt senior quarterback Grayson McCall’s inactivity due to an injury in the Arkansas State Univeristy game prior, the Chants were led by graduate backup quarterback Jarrett Guest. Coastal dominated on both sides of the ball to defeat Marshall, who was favored to win the game.  

As for McCall’s injury, it is currently unclear when or if he will return this season. 

Guest finished the game with 14 completions on 20 attempts for 289 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. His leading receiver was redshirt sophomore wide receiver Jared Brown, who caught five passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns.  

Brown was named to the Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll for this performance.  

While spectators may not have expected Guest to lead the Chanticleers to a win against a solid Marshall team, his teammates knew he would get the job done. 

“We always have confidence in our quarterbacks,” Brown said. “It was kind of expected the way he performed, all we had to do was execute the play calls that were called, and we all did that as an offensive group.” 

Defensively, the Chants forced five turnovers for their most in any game this season. In addition to a fumble recovery, they intercepted Marshall’s sophomore quarterback Cam Fancher and backup quarterback freshman Cole Pennington, twice each.  

With three straight wins for the Chanticleers, the season has taken a turn for the better from their initial two-and-three start.  

“It’s not about how you start, it’s about how you finish. We are a really good football team. The goals that we are striving for are still obtainable,” super senior wide receiver and captain Sam Pinckney said.