SGA Column

Photo provided by Gabrielle Ryder

Hello Teal Nation! 

My name is Gabrielle Ryder and I’m your Student Body President for the 2023-2024 academic year. I’d like to start by saying it’s an absolute honor to be able to serve you all in such a unique capacity! Since becoming Student Body President, I have fallen more in love with the Coastal Carolina University community. 

Serving you in the Student Government Association (SGA) for the past three years has been an absolute joy and privilege. 

Homecoming is a way to honor Coastal Carolina as a whole and welcome back our alumni. Our institution is growing and what an exciting time it is to be a student here. Coastal is not the same as it was five years ago, which makes me even more excited to see where our University will be in the next decade, when you will be welcomed back with open arms during homecoming. 

SGA has been working hard to adequately represent and serve the student body. We have pursued this by working on filling our Senate and appointing students to boards and committees across campus. SGA serves as your voice on campus and acts as a conduit between students and different groups. 

Come to us with your concerns. Our job is to listen to you, empower you as students and elevate your voice. 

I’d like to leave you with this. Be intentional with the people around you. Your time at Coastal and simply your life, in general, is but a breath in the grand scheme of things. At the same time, life moves so quickly. Take a moment to slow down. Genuinely ask the person sitting next to you how they’re doing. Love those around you well. Take a step of faith and live to be a blessing in other’s lives. 

As always, what a great day it is to be a Chanticleer! Chants up!