Teal Nation takeover

Members+of+the+Conway%2C+South+Carolina+community+lined+the+streets+outside+the+Teal+Nation+retail+store%E2%80%99s+grand+opening+Oct.+9.+
Morgan
Members of the Conway, South Carolina community lined the streets outside the Teal Nation retail store’s grand opening Oct. 9.

Both Coastal Carolina University students and the public can receive up to 30% off purchases at the Teal Nation retail store until Nov. 1. 

CCU students can get a discount of 30% off apparel and 15% off accessories any day, but the public’s discount is an extension to the deal in celebration of the grand opening of the Conway location Oct. 9. However, Under Armor jerseys are excluded from any discount. 

The Teal Nation retail store is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, located at 324 N. Main St. in the Downtown Conway area. Horry County high school students who attended the event got a waiver to apply to the University.  

Casey Powell, Conway resident and Coastal Carolina alum, waited along the street for the doors to open at the store’s grand opening. She attended the event with her children who she said are big fans of the Chanticleers. 

“The kids are off school, so I thought, ‘what a great opportunity to come down and enjoy the beautiful weather and the store,’” Powell said. 

Brendan McShane, who has been in retail for 32 years now, serves as the store manager of the Teal Nation store. He and his family have been in the area since 1984, which he said made him want to open the original store at Broadway at the Beach. 

“We’re so excited just to be in Conway with being, you know, the town itself has been so supportive of the college, both academically and athletically,” McShane said. “It’s just great to be part of this community and giving back a little bit to being present.” 

Although he did not attend the University as a student, McShane said it means a lot to him to be able to give back to Coastal.  

CCU President Michael Benson said the partnership between the store and Coastal was made possible with support from Conway Mayor Barbara Blain-Bellamy and the city council.  

University officials attended the event including President Benson, Conway Mayor Pro Tempore Justin Jordan, Vice President for Intercollegiate Sports and University Recreation Matt Hogue and Associate Provost of Enrollment Management Amanda Craddock. 

Ashley Holloway, the associate vice president of university marketing and communication who also spoke at the event, said the retail store is a physical representation of being the “hometown team” CCU strives to be.  

“As we look around, we can see that this town already bleeds teal, not just on game days but every day,” Holloway said. “This store serves as a point of connection where anyone can come to experience a small piece of the essence of our campus, and can take a piece, hopefully many, many pieces of that home with them.”