Night of celebration ends in loss

Women’s soccer team faces defeat on senior night

The Coastal Carolina University women’s soccer team suffered a tough loss on their senior night against Arkansas State University Red Wolves on Oct. 1. This loss dropped their record to 3-7. 

During the post-game conference, senior midfielder Ella Schad said emotions were high, as it was a big night for the seniors.  

“Definitely not the result we were hoping for, especially on senior day,” she said. “A lot of frustration was felt after the game.” 

Early in the game, Arkansas State forward Emma Riley had a scoring attempt, passing the ball to midfielder Phoebe Harpole. CCU goalkeeper Vivienne Carr blocked the attempt, deterring an early lead for Arkansas. 

Shortly after, the Chanticleers’ luck continued with a goal by midfielder Lou Martinet and assist by sophomore midfielder Rami Rapp, giving Coastal a 1-0 lead. 

Coastal freshman forward Emily Petring had two scoring attempts in the first half. Both shots were blocked by Arkansas State goalkeeper Olivia Luther.  

CCU attempted to extend their 1-0 lead in the second half, when forward Camie Wiles booted the ball to defender Julia Zigenfuss for another scoring attempt. The goal was unable to come to fruition after a save by Luther.  

Minutes into the second half, the Red Wolves tried to even out the score when forward Darby Stotts slid the ball to midfielder Nicoline Hansen who put the ball in the back of the net. Hansen‘s goal was overruled due to an offside call, but the Red Wolves were able to score again shortly after, making it a tied game. 

Minutes later Arkansas took the lead, 2-1, after Stotts redeemed herself and launched the ball into the corner with help from defender Summit Dann and Hansen.  

With ten minutes left in the game, CCU’s Petring tried to tie the game, ending in a tangle between her and Luther. Petring quickly tried to make space but failed to score in the final minutes, resulting in a 2-1 loss for The Chanticleers. 

“We really need to improve on final, third piece.” Martinet said. “We just need to be way more attacking minded.”