Chant of the Week: Josh Uduje

The Chanticleer’s first Chant of the Week has been awarded to sophomore guard Josh Uduje of the men’s basketball team.

Uduje, 20, was born in London, England.

“Coming to America had always been a dream of mine,” Uduje said. “Growing up in England, all the hoopers in England want to play in America. It’s kind of surreal sometimes. I understand that there’s people back home that want to be in my position so I just want to be the best role model I can for those kids to give them the hope that they need that they can do it, too.”

He attended high school at Arizona Compass Prep, a school widely known for its production of high-level athletes. Coming out of high school, Coastal Carolina University was one of his only offers despite having both individual and team success at AZ Compass prep.

“This is only the beginning, really,” Uduje said as he discussed his lack of offers and attention from high school. “I’ve got so much more in me. If you missed out, you’re going to regret it.”

On Jan. 24, Uduje was named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week for the first time in his career. Over a three-game span from Jan. 19-23, Uduje scored 74 points, averaging out to about 25 points per game. The Chants won two of these three games and both wins came in overtime, amplifying Uduje’s impact on the game as each bucket mattered.

He also recorded 2.5 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game over the span, which he said was an accomplishment.

“This is a big achievement, it definitely means a lot but I credit it to my teammates for putting me in the right decisions and Coach Ellis for giving me the opportunity,” he said. “My mindset is to win. My role has increased from last year so I just try to contribute as much as I can.”

On the season, Uduje is currently averaging 12.9 points per game, 1.4 assists, and 3.6 rebounds. rebounds.