THE CHANTICLEER

The Student Voice of Coastal Carolina University

THE CHANTICLEER

THE CHANTICLEER

GSU rout in soccer season finale

Noe+Santos+controls+the+ball+in+the+second+half+against+Georgia%0ASouthern.+
Photo provided by goccusports.com
Noe Santos controls the ball in the second half against Georgia Southern.

On senior night and last game of the regular season, the Coastal Carolina University men’s soccer team beat the Georgia Southern University Eagles 4-1 on Nov. 1. The team’s seniors and graduate students were honored during the pre-game:

• Peter Dearle, defender
  • Marcello Jones, midfielder
  • Emile Rzepecki, midfielder
  • Danny Cabrera, midfielder
  • Dimitris Moraitakis, defender
  • Alex Kinateder, midfielder
  • Mael Couteau, defender.

The game started quickly with three out of the five goals scored coming within the first five minutes of action.

Noe Santos gave the Chanticleers a 1-0 lead in the third minute after putting away a rebounded Eythor Kjartansson assist. 21 seconds later, Santos scored his second of the game as Danny Cabrera drew the Eagles’ goalkeeper out and passed it onto Santos for the top-shelf finish.

Georgia Southern answered quickly to cut the deficit to one with a goal from Hilary Odhiambo just a minute after Santos’ second.

In the 31st minute, Georgia Southern forward Zachary Martin received a red card after a dangerous slide tackle into Coastal goalkeeper Joey Batrouni. The Eagles were down to 10 men as they trailed 1-2 at the half.

Georgia Southern pressed high up the pitch during the second half in hopes of leveling the score, but Coastal did not break.

Kjartansson notched his second assist of the game in the 74th minute as he crossed the ball into the box where Alvaro Garcia-Pascual was there to tap it into the back of the net. Just under three minutes later, Kjartansson and Garcia-Pascual connected again to give the Chanticleers the 4-1 lead.

Santos was named the Sun Belt Conference Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Eagles.

For their performances throughout the season, Garcia-Pascual was named to the Men’s Soccer first-team All-Sun Belt and