Student awarded for most school spirit

Photo by Jacob Bashura

Anthony “Trey” Cornish wins the Spirit of the Chanticleer award with support from the other finalists, CCU President Michael Benson, and Chauncey

This year’s Spirit of the Chanticleer award winner and finalists was announced and celebrated during halftime of the most recent football game at Brooks Stadium.  

Senior Anthony “Trey” Cornish came away with the honor of the award this year.  

The award is a homecoming week recognition of students at Coastal Carolina University who showcase above-and-beyond school spirit.  

The finalists for the award included AbbeGayle Reynolds, Tabitha Tibbs, Tia Mack, Samantha Connors, Ansleigh Touchberry, Emily Bates, Anthony Cornish and Haileigh Miller. Each of these students were nominated due to their contributions to the University, community and their chanticleer pride.  

Cornish said he was excited to receive the award, and appreciated the recognition. 

“It feels like all my work has really been recognized and that it’s been worth it to put in all that work behind the scenes for my chapter and other students,” Cornish said. 

He said he had put in a lot of work in his fraternity, as well as the Call Me MISTER (Mentors Instructing Students Toward Effective Role Models) program throughout the year. The program’s mission is to assist education majors with recruitment and training to teach in low-performing areas of South Carolina. Cornish said he wanted to make sure to be a “great advocate” for CCU and the community.