Parade concludes Homecoming week

Photo by Megan Wallace

Student Jonah Tannery gives out high fi ves as the Phi Gamma Delta and Sigma Kappa fl oat passes community members in the parade.

The city of Conway, South Carolina concluded Coastal Carolina University’s week of 2022 homecoming events with a parade on Oct. 15.

Many CCU organizations attended the event, such as the Sea Turtle Club, Student Government Association and Coastal Activities Board. CCU President Michael Benson and Conway Mayor Barbara Blain-Bellamy also made an appearance at the parade in a decorated, teal Jeep. The newly crowned 2023 Miss Teal and Bronze Nicole Herrera and 2022 Miss South Carolina Jill Dudley were a part of the procession as well.

High school student Chloe McKay came to Conway from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to watch the parade because she was here to visit CCU. She said she wanted to see what the town was like before she made any decision to attend the University.

“Something to do and explore the town. I’ve never been down here,” McKay said.

The parade began with a dancing flash mob of “zombies” to the song “Thriller” by Michael Jackson. Wink Prince, a retired history professor who taught at CCU for 30 years, said his granddaughter was there to dance at the event.

Prince and his wife, Sallye Prince, attend the parade every year to support Coastal. Sallye said she was born here in Conway and is a CCU alum. Wink said he is from Loris, South Carolina “right down the road.”

“I guess there’s a certain sentiment about Homecoming, you know, that we get to see students and maybe some of our old friends, colleagues,” Wink said.

The parade route started at the intersection of Powell Street and Third Avenue. It then continued down Third to Laurel and Elm Streets. The CCU marching band led the parade through the streets. Many of Coastal’s fraternities and sororities paired up to create floats around the “Ride the Wave” homecoming theme, including one group who towed a boat for their float. A panel of judges from the University set up on Laurel Street where each group had about 30 to 45 seconds to showcase their float with choreography or a song.

The winner for best float was Pi Kappa Phi and Alpha Xi Delta, which was announced during halftime of the homecoming football game against Old Dominion University. Student Anthony Cornish was also announced as the winner of the Spirit of the Chanticleer award.