Port City Java makes campus debut

The newest coffee shop on campus, “Port City Java” opened their doors on Sept. 27 to customers and students in the Academic Office Building II.

The grand opening consisted of balloons, free stickers, pens and a friendly staff.

Port City Java is based in Wilmington, North Carolina. The coffee shop was founded in 1995 and now has over 25 locations in the country. However, their location at CCU is their first college campus-based location in South Carolina.

“It was very well received this morning. We were very happy and our staff is very excited,” Sharon Nardi, the manager, said on opening day. “I think Port City will be a welcomed addition to campus.”

Nardi has worked for the Aramark food service for 22 years and has worked on campus for the past 10 years. She was responsible for originally opening Einstein Bros. Bagels, located in Brittain Hall.

“It is a lot of work, but a neat experience to open up a new facility,” Nardi said.

Port City Java has an extensive menu. They offer coffee, espresso, matcha, chai tea and smoothies. There are over 20 flavors of syrups to add to drinks, and non-dairy milk options are available.

“I think everyone needs their caffeine, especially college students first thing in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon,” Nardi said. “It is going to meet the needs of our students here.”

In addition to drinks, they also have an all-day breakfast menu and lunch wraps. This menu offers English muffins, bagels and croissants. Customers can choose from six different proteins and multiple toppings to put on the bread of their choice.

Students, staff and faculty were lined up on opening day and ready to get a taste.

“So far, I am happy about the opening of the new campus coffee shop. There is more variety,” Kira Sullivan, a sophomore, said.

“At Einstein’s there is only one smoothie flavor here, there are other options and more coffee syrups.”

This semester, Port City Java will be open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The hours are designed to meet the needs of the people working and taking classes.