Spring ‘24 graduates walk across stage, into new chapter

Editor-in-Chief Madison Sharrock with the first issue of the fall 2023 semester.

The Chanticleer would like to celebrate and congratulate every
student wearing their cap and gown this spring, eagerly waiting
for their turn to walk the stage.

Some of you have already figured life out, some of you pretend to, and some have no idea. Wherever you fall into these categories, remember that your post-graduate years are the most exciting because of uncertainty.

Uncertainty can be overwhelming, yet exciting. So, what comes next?” your distant aunt asks at the next family gathering. If your answer is “I don’t know,” say it with a smile. 

You don’t know what you’ll do, but you don’t know what possibilities await you. 

At our publication, we say goodbye for now to Sports Desk Editor Jacob Bashura, Sports Reporter Josh Adams and Columnist Jacob Ackerman. Each of these senior staff members brought a sense of belonging to The Chanticleer’s newsroom.  

We wish each of you the best of luck in all your endeavors. 

Additionally, I end my tenure as the editor-in-chief of The Chanticleer. I was able to carry out this position with a dedicated, passionate and unwavering team behind me. To everyone at the newspaper: I am eternally grateful for every second I spent leading pitch meetings, editing your articles and developing friendships with each of you. 

As the “top dog,” as our Student Media Coordinator John Harvey calls me, this was a successful year for the newspaper. Our student-run publication took a 180-degree turn in terms of design and reporting– the staples of decent journalism. 

I wanted to be the editor of The Chanticleer ever since I joined during my freshman year– it feels surreal that it’s already time to say goodbye. However, I’m excited to return to the executive staff as the digital managing editor.

With that, I hope campus welcomes Brooke Bromberg
with open arms, I trust the newspaper will be in good hands.
Remember: With great power, comes great responsibility.

Although my time is ending, I believe the prevalence of hard-hitting journalism and discussion will continue to echo throughout the halls of each building on campus. However, it’s only if our student journalists continue to dig, question and persevere.

Seniors: You write this next chapter– you can use white-
out, erasers, colored pencils or a simple blue ball–point pen.
Your first step is to choose the utensil.

–Madison Sharrock,
Editor-in-Chief