Fine clothing line between inclusive and exploitive

In celebration of Black History Month, Under Armour released a clothing line produced and designed by African American athletes to uplift their voices and visions.

The clothing collection contains athletic shoes, jackets, shirts, shorts and other new pieces. Under Armor intended to pay tribute to African Americans and their contributions to athletics, although I believe this line of clothing is hypocritical.

Many companies try to profit off Black History Month through new lines or advertisements, which goes against what they claim to encourage.

“This collection was created hand in hand with Under Armour’s teammate resource group BEAT (Black Employees Achieving Together),” Under Armour said regarding the clothing line.

However, this way of thinking is faulty. Under Armour and other athletic companies should already be working to provide spaces for African Americans in implementing their ideas and visions for future designs and products. Creating this line during Black History Month is exploitive, as it is for profit rather than genuine representation and diversity.

To truly intertwine Black designers into Under Armour, the company should be making sure their designs and ideas are consistently heard and considered throughout the year.

True diversity can only be reached if companies, including Under Armour, encourage designs from all backgrounds, without intentions of earning profit during certain time periods.

Although this new program seems ingenuine, it is a step that Under Armour can work to improve. By working with BEAT consistently, Under Armour can effectively include Black representation and perspective in their designs and athletic products.

Aside from Under Armour’s new clothing line, they have also discussed working towards other opportunities for Black athletes.

“In 2024, Under Armour will continue empowering the next generation of underrepresented talent by way of scholarships to students through the HBCU Career Combine,” Under Armour’s website read.

By improving diversity and true inclusivity through consistent programs and representation of African Americans, Under Armour can be an encouraging symbol for other athletic companies.