Guest column: Disappointed in Coastal’s broken policies for Trump

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a piece written by Jacob Hunter, a Coastal Carolina University 2020 alumni, on his disappointment toward the university following the Donald Trump “Get Out the Vote” rally. This guest column was an email sent to The Chanticleer, John Harvey, Travis Overton, the Office of Alumni Relations, the Office of the President, WMBF News, WBTW News, WPDE News and My Horry News on Feb. 11, 2024.

Good Afternoon,

I am writing to express my disappointment regarding Coastal Carolina University’s decision to allow Former President Donald Trump to utilize the university’s facilities on Feb. 10. I am disgusted that MY university has allowed someone facing 91 criminal counts, someone who is a known liar, someone who mocks people with disabilities, someone who was found liable, by a jury of peers, of sexual abuse, to speak in the same facility that most of our students start and finish their degree program in. I am outraged that a place that I spent four years at, paid tuition at, and donate to annually would allow this individual to speak.

Jacob Bashura and Caroline Surface brought to light in The Chanticleer that Travis E. Overton, chief of staff, said “Since Coastal is a state institution, those unaffiliated with the University can rent space if they agree to follow institutional policies.”

I am curious to know which policies Mr. Overton was referring to. UNIV-477 Part V. claims:

A. University facilities are available to political candidates or parties upon request; however, the facilities will not be used for political rallies or for campaign purposes that would further the interest of the candidate or candidates of any one political party without providing similar access to other parties on an equal basis. University facilities can be contracted for use through the Office of Scheduling and Event Services (843-234-3432), in which charges are assessed based on the established rate schedule for external entities.

B. Any political candidate sponsored by a department or organization is required to abide by the policy established in Part V. Section A above.

C. The University welcomes visits by elected officials and their staffs, whether their visits are personal or in an official capacity. All such invited-visits are to be coordinated through the Office of Scheduling and Space Management. Visitors must be reported to the Office of the President pursuant to the Official Visitors to Campus Policy.

D. Individual faculty, staff, students, and members of affiliated boards may support political candidates/parties of their choosing; however, the use of University resources to do so is only allowable in compliance with this policy

I would assume this policy was followed in full and since this was a political rally that the same access is provided to other parties on request.

I am also curious to know if Mr. Overton thinks that policy UNIV457 applies:

SUMMARY:

I. Coastal Carolina University is open to free discussion and the views and ideas of all of our faculty, staff, and students. We are committed to the principle that members of our community should be allowed to invite any person of their own choosing to be a guest on our campus so long as the associated event is accompanied by peaceful methods and is consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution.

II. To ensure that Coastal Carolina University presents a welcoming and hospitable environment, the Office of the President requires notification of all official oncampus visitors.

POLICY:

I. Speakers and official visitors may be sponsored by any member of the University community, department, or organization. Upon approval via the designated procedure applicable to your affiliation, you must do the following:

A. Complete the form found on the University website under Forms on the University Administration Faculty and Staff page.

B. Submit this form to president@ coastal.edu.

C. Retain the confirmation email for your records.

If UNIV-457 applies to the events yesterday (and I would see no reason why this policy would not have applied), I would like answers to specific rhetoric that was made by the speaker.

In Trump’s remarks yesterday he: Attacked the news media coverage of the event. At 2:36 p.m., he insinuated “that’s a lot of fake news back there,” referring to the local news organizations that dutifully serve the Myrtle Beach community. At 2:38 p.m.: “they’re among the most dishonest people you’ll ever see,” while pointing to the cameras, again insinuating that our local news organizations are not to be trusted. At 2:45 p.m., he pointed at the cameras and again called them “fake news.” At 3:01 p.m., he again pointed to the cameras while calling them “fake news.” At 3:51 p.m., Trump again pointed to the cameras and claimed “we don’t have free press.” Does Coastal Carolina University view these attacks against our local media as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think these attacks match the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence?

At 2:36 p.m., Trump made a remark that Former President Barack Obama “has a lot to do with running the country,” which is an unfounded and baseless claim. Does Coastal Carolina University view this statement as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think this statement matches the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence? 

At 2:40 p.m., Trump stated that immigrants coming into the country are mostly “fighting age” (18-25) and that immigrants have “something planned.” Does Coastal Carolina University view these statements as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think these statements match the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence?

At 2:54 p.m., a “Fuck Joe Biden” chant broke out in the HTC Center– an unsurprising chant that seems to make an appearance at many of Trump’s events. Does Coastal Carolina University view this chant as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think this chant matches the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence?

At 3:02 p.m., Trump made a false claim that no terrorist attacks happened under his term. Does Coastal Carolina University view this statement as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think this statement matches the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence? 

At 3:45 p.m., Trump read “The Snake.” His interpretation of the poem (relating it to immigration) is inaccurate, as pointed out by multiple organizations. He has also received a cease-and-desist letter in relation to this poem.

Does Coastal Carolina University view this interpretation of poem as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think this interpretation matches the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence?

At 3:51 p.m., Trump stated: he would cut funding for schools “pushing… transgender insanity” a calculated, abhorrent statement. That remark is blatantly transphobic and has absolutely no place in society. Does Coastal Carolina University view the statement “transgender insanity” as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think the statement “transgender insanity” matches the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence?

At 3:51 p.m., Trump stated: “I will keep men out of women’s sports”; again, another abhorrent and transphobic comment to be made at our university. Does Coastal Carolina University view the statement “I will keep men out of women’s sports” as “consistent with the scholarly nature of an academic institution”? Does Coastal Carolina University think the statement “I will keep men out of women’s sports” matches the values of truth, respect, integrity, and excellence?

I know there was no way Coastal Carolina University would have known what Trump would say. I hope the answers to my questions above are all no. And if they are, why was this individual allowed to speak? Coastal Carolina University should have done its due diligence to ensure that the speaker it hosted would meet the values and stated policies of the university. Nothing that Trump said was new, nothing that happened yesterday was unexpected.

Since 2017, I have never been hesitant to call Coastal Carolina University my university. Since 2020, I have never been disappointed in my alma mater. That veneration ended yesterday, Feb. 10, 2024.

I am ashamed of our university. 

Regards, Jacob Hunter

View Comments (1)