AAIM: Organization shapes young men

The African American Initiative for Men (AAIM) is a retention-based program at Coastal Carolina University for African American men to help them graduate. Their purpose is to enhance the perception of Black men and provide them with a safe space on campus. 

To become a pioneer, members must first serve as a general member of AAIM for at least a year. After serving for a year, they can then go through the application and interview process to join the leadership board. Members who are selected serve on the board as pioneers and help run meetings, as well as run the functions of the program to ensure effectiveness.  

Tyrik Pierre, an AAIM pioneer who recently graduated this winter, joined as a freshman when he met a member who brought him to a meeting.  

“In my college career, my greatest accomplishment is becoming a pioneer,” Pierre said. “That’s home, there’s no space on campus that I love more than AAIM.” 

The pioneers meet every week and hold meetings every other Wednesday. The four tenets of the organization are leadership, empowerment, action and development. Each meeting focuses on one of these aspects and allows members to discuss these goals. 

AAIM was originally created by Chief of Staff and Vice President for Executive Initiatives Travis Overton. He started with just a couple of students and it has since grown to around 50 members in each meeting. 

Bernard Brown, a member of AAIM, went to his first meeting after attending Organization Kickoff Day.  

“We do have purpose. And I think AAIM is helping young men like myself, realize that and act on it,” he said.  

AAIM can be supported by being open minded and ready to learn. Students can attend events to support members who are trying to educate individuals on campus.  

“AAIM helped me define what it is to be a college student. A mature and accountable college student,” Brown said.  

Members of the program are often seen playing basketball together or grabbing a bite to eat. They host both mental health check meetings and debates. 

“If you’re looking for support, AAIM is your starting point and they will help you grow and develop into who you want to become,” Pierre said. 

Students who are interested in getting involved can stop by the Intercultural Inclusion Student Services office in Lib Jackson Student Union A-201 for more information, or send an email to the group at [email protected].