Step into Greek life

Annual National Pan-Hellenic Council’s annual Step Show demonstrates community
Annual+National+Pan-Hellenic+Council%E2%80%99s+annual+Step+Show.+
Raven Cooper
Annual National Pan-Hellenic Council’s annual Step Show.

The Coastal Carolina University community gathered in the Wheelwright Auditorium for the National Pan-Hellenic Council’s annual Step Show on Oct. 27, which serves as a staple for the organization. 

NPHC is a council of nine historically African American sororities and fraternities, called the Divine Nine. These sororities and fraternities compete in a Step Show every year during Coastal’s homecoming week to showcase their skills. 

Senior NPHC President Tyrik Pierre said the organization acts as a support system for its sororities and fraternities by stressing unity of its members. Pierre explains how the organization is a way to connect with others and their communities. 

“Its sole purpose is to foster collaborative efforts of all the sororities and fraternities, encouraging collaboration and partnership with things like voter equality, civil rights, civil justice,” Pierre said. 

The audience witnessed performances from CCU’s Greek organizations. The performances featured different themes, music and strolls. The crowd remained engaged by lively music and the hosts interacting with the crowd keeping the good energy going. 

Pierre believes the annual Step Show is the one event all year where everyone in attendance can engage in some capacity. Whether that being during shoutouts, roll calls, or the music, Pierre credits the event as a venue for everyone to join together in fellowship. The event also allows for Greek alumni and current Greek members to bond as well.  

“One thing that I saw throughout that entire night was people from different chapters that crossed in different years starting to connect with each other,” Pierre said.  

Pat Singleton-Young was honored towards the close of the event. Singleton-Young held the first membership chair of the CCU Alumni Association. At the event Singleton-Young informed the audience about the Pat Singleton-Young Student Leadership Alumni Board Endowed Scholarship. This scholarship aims to reward students who demonstrate leadership involvement on campus, especially multicultural programs and activities. 

Pierre, a recipient of the scholarship, looks to make students aware of its relevance and inclusivity.  

“It was a great honor to receive, and I’m always grateful to be kind of an ambassador for it, to tell students about it. Not many students know about it but it’s for all students at Coastal. It’s not just for a specific type of student so I hope that more people start to learn about it,” Pierre said.  

Coming in third place was the Phi Beta Sigma chapter, and second place went to the Zeta Phi Beta. Finally, the winners of the Step Show were the Alpha Phi Alpha chapter. Pierre, being a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha chapter, speaks highly of his brothers’ efforts which he believes led them to victory.  

Pierre stresses that leadership, involvement and experience in college is crucial for personal advancement for a well-rounded graduate. 

“Your degree is guaranteed as long as you stay on your path but what isn’t guaranteed is the connections you make, the network that you build, the experience that you gain,” Pierre said. “You can learn but so much in the classroom.”