Do what you love, love what you do

Harry the Potter in Myrtle Beach provides relief through creativity
Just+some+of+the+Pottery+created+by+the+community.+
caroline surface
Just some of the Pottery created by the community.

Caprice Miller left her corporate job to pursue something fun and creative, rather than the monotonous job she was used to. 

She said she used to do pottery as a teenager and slowly got away from it. However, it seemed to follow her wherever she went. 

“When I would travel on business, that’s how I found a paint your own pottery studio, and I was hooked,” Miller said. “So, when I got the opportunity to buy it, thankfully with the support of my husband to walk away from my job, we just walked away, bought it.” 

She purchased Harry the Potter back in October 2017, becoming the fourth owner of the studio. Although the name came from the previous owner, Miller said she is thankful for the play on words as it attracts a multitude of customers. 

Every pottery piece in the studio is ready-to-paint. There are holiday themed items, mugs, plates, piggy banks, cookie jars and more.  

Once a customer paints a piece, it is covered with a glaze and then fired in one of the two kilns she has. Miller said a kiln is like a large oven that heats up to 1,875 degrees Fahrenheit to fire the piece. After being fired, the pottery is food safe and topped off with a glossy finish. 

The price for each piece includes the painting and firing, and Miller said there is a price for every budget. 

People of all ages come to paint pottery, according to Miller. She has had friend groups, first dates and girl scout groups who come in.  

“It’s really kind of a thing that anybody or everybody can do,” Miller said. “It’s very inclusive.” 

Many different businesses can book office parties or team building events and she even offers opportunities to book social events. It is a BYOB studio. 

Many changes have been made since the COVID-19 pandemic hit. However, she said the studio is getting back to doing “Paint and Sip Pottery Style” nights. Before the pandemic, she said anywhere from 25 to 30 people would pack into the studio for this event. 

With the holidays coming up, Miller said gift certificates will be available in a couple of weeks. 

“When you don’t know exactly what somebody wants but you know they’re creative,” she said. “The gift certificate makes total sense because they can come in and pick out what they want.” 

To book an event, go to harrythepotter.com.