Mental Health Awareness Month: Juggling education and well-being

Frances Ludwig
Illustration by Frances Ludwig

As students stress over school, it can be challenging to focus on mental health and stability. Most people sacrifice either school in hopes of being mentally well, or their mental health in hopes of being successful academically. 

This raises a question: Should mental health or academics be prioritized in a student’s life? 

Many people tend to forget just how short and uncertain life can be and because of this, they tend to work without taking breaks or enjoying life. Living with this mindset can often lead to an unfulfilling and depressing life that often is developed through mental unwellness, such as depression. Due to this, it is critical students prioritize enjoying their life and seeking balance between a social life and school. 

Taking breaks from stressful environments can lead to productivity and a positive lens of life. A simple vacation or even a visit to family is effective in increasing happiness and improving mental health. Not only does it limit stress but can also re-establish meaningful relationships and friendships. 

Breaks also allow for time to seek support from others and to learn how to cope with mental illness and its effects.  

Currently, many professors are strict on attendance policies and do not easily excuse absences due to mental health. However, this promotes the stigma behind mental health and its validity. Strict attendance policies can limit students’ willingness to open up and take time to focus on their well-being.  

An effective solution to this issue would be an attendance policy that allows for a limited number of excused days students can take off for mental health reasons. This would promote more productivity among students and decrease their stress. 

Overall, students should continue to focus on their mental health. Without mental wellness, it is difficult, or nearly impossible, to focus on school, work, success and relationships simultaneously. Dealing with these common issues does not have to be an independent task, in fact, dealing with it through friends and family can make it easier to navigate and improve overall well-being.  

It is important to take this month as a reminder to focus on your mental health and plan goals toward improving it.