THE CHANTICLEER

The Student Voice of Coastal Carolina University

THE CHANTICLEER

THE CHANTICLEER

Oppenheimer: Destroyer of my time

Photo courtesy of Displate.
Photo courtesy of Displate.

The three-hour biographical picture release “Oppenheimer” directed by Christopher Nolan tackles the challenge of depicting Theoretical Physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer and the development of the atomic bomb.  

Oppenheimer was appointed as head of the Manhattan Project, a secret program of the United States to develop the world’s first atomic bomb in World War II. Oppenheimer and the fellow scientists in the Manhattan project faced the possibility of mass destruction and stayed in denial.  

Oppenheimer and his team spent nearly three years working on the project until they achieved the world’s first nuclear weapon in 1945. 

Later on in the film, Oppenheimer realizes the destruction and consequences of his creations. He can no longer reverse the damage his creation has brought as horrors become a reality. He feels overwhelming guilt as he quotes famously “Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.” 

The movie is factually sound, as many of the minor details and events are also historically accurate. Scenes depicting Oppenheimer’s state of mind, tendencies and behaviors of those around him allowed me to better understand the context of how other characters played a part in their roles. 

The scenes and cuts were very intriguing, and the way Oppenheimer was captured in a first-person narrative was captivating. The cinematography allowed me to resonate with Oppenheimer and the situation he was in. 

The shots themselves were visually appealing, but not many theaters allow for the movie to be seen as it is intended. The film was shot on a massive blend of IMAX film and Nolan intended the film to be viewed in an IMAX theater. Because I enjoy gaining a full experience, it felt like I had missed the opportunity to truly see the potential of this film. 

The cinematography could only captivate me for so long, as implementation severely lacked the intrigue of diverse audiences. In many moments, I felt bored or overwhelmed watching this movie. For this deep of a bi-pic, I understand how short three hours seem to directors, but it felt like an eternity for me as an audience member.  

However, many other individuals appear to love “Oppenheimer” as the audience rates it at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Although this movie had very intriguing elements, this would not be a movie I would recommend to the average student. Additionally, I would not recommend this film to the squeamish, as even I felt affected by the full-blown depictions of his relationship and people in the atomic destruction. Overall, I would say this movie is the perfect watch for any film appreciator or history junkie.