University of Virginia mourns after shootings

Photo provided by Mike Kropf/The Daily Progress via AP

University of Virginia students participate in a vigil in response to shootings that happened on campus the night before in Charlottesville, Va., Monday, Nov. 14, 2022.

Associate Athletic Director Kevin Davis announced in an email that the upcoming football game against The University of Virginia (UVA) on Nov. 19 has been canceled.

The UVA athletic department made this decision following a shooting on campus that left three UVA football players and students dead and two wounded.

To show support for the opposing team, Coastal leaders encouraged students to wear blue and orange for this week’s Teal Tuesday.

In a University-wide email, President Michael Benson said Monday the tragic deaths at UVA and the University of Idaho “stunned and saddened” the CCU community. Benson urged students to stand against hate and violence in all forms.

“The Coastal Carolina University family mourns with the communities of Moscow, Idaho, and Charlottesville, Virginia. We stand in solidarity with both institutions,” the email read.

CCU Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and University Recreation Matt Hogue said it’s really important the Coastal community supports UVA during the tragedy.

“CCU Athletics is devastated and heartbroken over the tragedy at UVA. Our thoughts and prayers are with our colleagues and friends in Charlottesville,” Hogue said. As for our scheduled game, that is appropriately secondary right now and we are focused on supporting the entire UVA community.”

The Associated Press reports UVA President Jim Ryan said in a press conference Monday that University police responded Sunday to a call of shots fired around 10:30 p.m. Ryan said the shooting occurred in a parking garage after students returned to campus after a field trip.

Ryan said the three victims who were shot and killed were football players Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr. and D’Sean Perry. Two other students were wounded and are being treated at the UVA Medical Center, according to the press conference.

According to the Associated Press, police arrested student and former UVA football player Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. Monday at 11 a.m. Jones faces three counts of both using a handgun in the commission of a felony and second-degree murder. Jones was on the football team in 2018 but did not appear in any games.

Ryan said UVA does not know or understand the motive behind the shooting, but the police are currently investigating. University classes and Charlottesville schools were canceled Monday as well as the UVA men’s basketball game originally scheduled for Monday night. Charlottesville schools resumed Tuesday.