FDA Approves Moderna booster and is now available at CCU COVID Clinic

Students, faculty and staff are now able to choose between the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at Coastal Carolina’s COVID-19 clinic.  

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the Moderna vaccine Jan. 7. According to the FDA, the Moderna booster was authorized to speed up the process of immunity against COVID-19. With FDA approval, those who are 18 years and older must wait five months to receive their third shot. 

The approval of the booster left many people impatient, regarding the spike of those infected by the newest Omicron variant. The FDA warns this variant spreads much faster than the original SARS-CoV-2 virus, or any other variants. 

“Vaccination is our best defense against COVID-19, including the circulating variants, and shortening the length of time between completion of a primary series and a booster dose may help reduce waning immunity,” the FDA said in a press release. 

The FDA said the most common side-effects of receiving the Moderna booster are muscle pain, headache, fatigue and redness at the injection site.  

Coastal paired with the Conway Medical Center (CMC) to launch the campus COVID Clinic. Students and faculty can receive the booster of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, and they may also get tested for COVID-19. Their results are emailed to them for free. 

“I think it’s a wonderful thing that we are here on campus to provide this service,” said Terri Dorton, a registered CMC nurse. “It’s quicker, it’s easier, they can slip in between classes or during lunch.” 

Dorton said the benefits of having this service on campus lets professors and students know what they must do to reduce the spread of the pandemic. She said it’s important for students to address their fears and hesitations of going to the clinic with as much information as possible. 

To make an appointment to receive a booster shot or to get tested for COVID-19, call Student Health Services at (843) 349–6546.