CCU’s first generation honors society: Tri-Alpha

The Beta Omega chapter of Tri-Alpha, a first-generation honor society, is now being offered at CCU giving faculty and students the chance to be recognized and commended for their accomplishments.  

According to Coastal Now’s article by Jerry Rashid, Tri-Alpha is open to all first-generation students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher, are the first in their family to graduate from a four-year college and have earned at least 30 credits. In addition, the honor society is also open to any faculty and staff who qualify as first-generation students.  

According to Joshua Moore, the director of intercultural and inclusion student services, the honor society has over 100 chapters across the country. When it was first adapted at Coastal it belonged to the Edwards College of Humanities and Fine Arts, but later evolved to include everyone. The goals of the Beta Omega chapter of Tri-Alpha are to provide a sense of community, academic credential, eliminate barriers, and engage its members.  

Tri-Alpha is currently looking to recruit its first inaugural class at Coastal Carolina University. Those who join the society will reap the benefits of being informed, gain credentials and various resources, and be a part of an organization that will make an enormous difference.  

“Students will feel valued and seen at the university. It is an avenue to find a way to engage them and create the space that they want to see,” Moore said.  

In addition to the society’s benefits at the university level, it allows students to retain a mark of distinction, according to Atiya Stokes-Brown, vice president of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The students who get involved and get ahead will be able to leave their mark on society once graduating from CCU.  

Information on Tri-Alpha and how to get involved can be found in the student activities weekly email. Additionally, an interest form can be filled out by both students and faculty/staff who meet the criteria and are looking to get involved on campus. For any further questions, the student ambassadors and intercultural and inclusion student services staff can help, they are in room A102 of the Lib Jackson Student Union.