The Music on the Lawn series returns spring semester 

Members of the Coastal community, old and young, came to hear CCU’s very own ensemble group, Back Pocket Pasta at the first Music on the Lawn concert of the spring semester.  

The Music on the Lawn series began last semester as part of the year-long 20th anniversary celebration of the Edward’s College. There were five concerts during the fall semester and there will be three more throughout the spring.  

Associate Dean Easton Selby said he hopes they are able to continue the concert series in the coming years, but it will depend on a few factors. 

“It’s gonna come down to money and finances cause this isn’t free. Whether it is accommodations of ensembles from campus, whether it is faculty ensembles, student ensembles, or bringing in external entertainment like we would like to do it,” Selby said. “It’s gonna be really easy to continue this with CCU ensembles but part of the goal is to also bring in other performers from outside of campus.” 

Back Pocket Pasta is an R&B student ensemble group. They performed music from artists like Stevie Wonder, Khalid, and H.E.R at the concert. Selby said they have experimented with different types of music throughout the year but they always try to keep it family-friendly.   

CCU music and jazz student Iverson Reid said he heard about the concert through the commercial music and jazz Instagram page and was interested since he’d heard them before.  

“Just the fact that I’ve heard these guys before in our masterclass and just wanted to, ya know, come out and support,” Reid said. 

Reid said he would definitely try to come back for the last three concerts of the year. The next one will be on April 8 in the Edwards courtyard, and the last two will be on the weekend of April 22-24. The last concert will be on April 24 which is also where the C2 record competition winners will be announced with feature music from other C2 artists as well.