Gilmore’s last ride

Head baseball coach to retire after spring season

Coastal Carolina University’s longtime head baseball coach Gary Gilmore has announced he will be retiring after the 2024 spring season.

Gilmore is an extremely accomplished head coach who has been at the helm of the program since 1996. Many organizations such as Rawlings and D1Baseball named him the 2016 National Coach of the Year. He’s also made 17 regional appearances as well as the iconic national championship victory in 2016.

He’s going into this final season, beginning on Feb. 16 in Springs Brooks Stadium, with the same mentality that has been the hallmark of his career.

“It doesn’t matter whether it’s my last year my first year, I’m coming prepared to battle every single day like it’s you know, every single day has been my last one,” Gilmore said.

When Gilmore first arrived at CCU, there were around 4,000 students enrolled. Now, Coastal has transcended into a very popular University, and Gilmore is arguably responsible for putting the University on the map through the achievements of the baseball program.

“It’s really been cool to see how much changed in such a positive way over these 29 years,” he said.

“To see Coastal Carolina become a household name across the United States has been one of the most incredible things ever.”

There isn’t a place he goes where he doesn’t get a “go Chants.”

Whether he is at the airport or a restaurant, the Coastal name and logo follows him.

He said he is looking to slow down this season and take it all in one last time.

“Each day that passes is one closer to the last you get called coach,” Gilmore said.

For Gilmore, retirement is something he is still trying to process and he knows it will be a huge adjustment.

“I’ll be bouncing off the wall,” Gilmore said. “The coaching piece, that’s just something that’s in your blood.”

Sophomore catcher Caden Bodine and many other players throughout the coach’s tenure have been positively influenced by him. 86 of the 107 players that have been drafted into the MLB from Coastal have been coached under Gilmore.

“He’s a great man. He’s just a phenomenal coach and he’s really left a legacy,” Bodine said.

In return, the players have had a significant impact on Gilmore‘s life, even outside of the baseball diamond. Gilmore uses the lessons he’s learned from them in his role as a dad and grandfather, as well as in his work.

“What I get back from those players is that relationship piece, that’s something I can hang on to forever,” he said. “I’ve loved every minute and every second of opportunity I’ve had here.”