Transfer portal shakes up football roster

After an 8-5 season for the Chanticleers, some of Coastal Carolina University’s key football players have decided to enter the transfer portal including Grayson McCall, Jared Brown and CJ Beasley.

Coastal’s former quarterback McCall is transferring to North Carolina State University (NC State), wide receiver Brown is moving on to University of South Carolina (USC) and Beasley, who has been a reliable running back for Coastal, is transferring to conference rival Georgia State University.

These Chants, as well as offensive lineman Will McDonald, linebackers JT Killen and Tre Pinkey, punter Evan Crenshaw and safety Jahmar Brown will all be finding new homes for the next football season.

Freshman Peyton Clay said he is going to miss having McCall around.

“A lot of people were excited to see Grayson play, so that excitement is gone,” he said.

However, Coastal has two new, promising players coming to the program who may be able to fill some of these gaps. Among those  joining the Chanticleers are Noah Kim, a quarterback transfer from Michigan State University, and Sawyer Goram-Welch, an offensive lineman from the University of Texas.

Kim played five games in the 2023 season for the Spartans, throwing six touchdowns and eclipsing 1,090 passing yards, with five of his touchdowns coming in his last two starts.

Rising senior Goram-Welch and his team finished third in the AP Top 25 Poll for the 2023 season. Standing at 6-foot-4 and 307 pounds, Goram- Welch is expected to be a force to be reckoned with.

Freshman Charlie Curtin is hopeful in terms of these new additions to the team.

“I’m excited to see what Noah Kim brings to the table, transfer from Michigan State. The Texas lineman we got [Goram-Welch] should be good,” he said.

View Comments (1)