THE CHANTICLEER

The Student Voice of Coastal Carolina University

THE CHANTICLEER

THE CHANTICLEER

Time capsule back to 2012

Rise of new aesthetics results in nostalgia

Fashion is ever-changing from year to year. In 2023 there was the rise of coquette, “clean girl” aesthetic and the comeback of the bow, trickling down from the runways to social media.

Pantone’s 2023 color of the year was Viva Magenta 18, a deep pink in the red family. Whowhatwear.com’s Net-a-Porter forecasts that the heat is rising in 2024, with the prediction being that Chili Red will be the year’s color.

Making an appearance on the runway last year was Head of State, who unveiled a rainbow collection with fiery red in the forefront. Red slouchy dresses dominated Tory Burch’s fall runway and Alejandra Alonso Rojas featured silky red on tailored suits.

TikTok fashionista Gabi Daiagi was one of the first social media users to predict that pops of red would be the staple piece this year. Oh Polly, another popular fashion company, has already joined the trend with “The Heartbreaker Edit,” a Valentine’s collection.

Aside from the fierce reds, the movie “Saltburn” has influenced fashion and beauty quickly after its release in November 2023.

The messy eyeliner worn by the character Venetia Catton will be the “it girl” look this year.

Glamour has predicted that sequins are going to be the staple piece for miniskirts, going-out tops and party dresses. Brands like Edikted have already taken note, with their top seller being the Sabina low-rise sequin miniskirt.

Emma Chamberlain’s podcast episode on her fashion predictions this year stated that boat chic will also be back in style. 2012 was the year of Vineyard Vines, button-downs and boat shoes, which Chamberlain thinks will be making a comeback very soon.

Miu Miu’s spring 2024 show also confirmed the re-emergence of the preparatory school and “Gossip Girl” vibe, bringing back the nostalgia of the 2012s.

The “clean girl” trend is officially out and “mob wife” is in. The “mob wife” aesthetic is already taking over TikTok, and celebrities like Dua Lipa and Kendall Jenner are already on the ball.

TikTok user Mikayla Toninato, who is a student at Parsons Fashion School, accumulated over 1 million views talking about the “mob wife life.” The aesthetic is all about leopard print and fur coats, accompanied by a red lip and messy hair, with the trend being tailored towards busy women who want to look good while accomplishing a mountain of tasks at once.

For menswear this year, “eclectic grandpa” is in. This means knit sweaters over white tank tops, paired with loose wool trousers and loafers. Chunky rings will be in this year along with the return of the Gatsby cap. This can also go interchangeably with a wide- brimmed baseball cap, checkered shorts and Adidas Sambas.

The projected trends for 2024 continue to prove that all it takes is one TikTok star or movie to change the course of fashion for the entire year.

Just as quickly as something goes into style, it can go right back out.