THE CHANTICLEER

The Student Voice of Coastal Carolina University

THE CHANTICLEER

THE CHANTICLEER

Coastal football goes the distance: Hawaii Bowl win

Harold Smith
Photos provided by Harold Smith.

For the second time in program history, Coastal Carolina University’s football team closed out its season with a bowl win. The team beat San Jose State University in the Easypost Hawaii Bowl Dec. 23, 24-14, to finish with a record of 8-5 for 2023. 

The Chanticleers were faced with adversity prior to the game, with star wide receiver Jared Brown announcing his decision to transfer to the University of South Carolina and the face of the program, quarterback Grayson McCall, transferring to North Carolina State University. The team had no choice but to use younger, less experienced players, but were by no means shorthanded. 

Redshirt freshman Ethan Vasko led the Chants to his third win as a starter out of four starts. He closed out the season with 20 completions on 33 attempts for 199 yards, three touchdowns and 17 carries for 50 yards. 

Head coach Tim Beck was impressed with Vasko’s performance. 

“He gutted it out. He played hard, he had some ups and down moments in the game, missed some things but also made some great plays,” Beck said following the game. ”I’m really proud of him. For a redshirt freshman to be able to play the way he played and get thrown in the circumstances that he did, the future’s definitely bright. He had an outstanding game.”  

Senior tight end Matt Alaimo, who had just nine catches this season, scored one of three Chanticleer touchdowns on a two-yard contested catch for his first touchdown of the season.  

Graduate student wide receiver Sam Pinckney had himself another impressive performance with eight catches for 123 yards and a game-sealing, one-handed touchdown to push their lead to ten with just under six minutes on the clock. 

Coastal’s defense showed up to play, allowing only 14 points for San Jose, none of which were in the first three quarters. 

Senior cornerback Abraham Temoney III led all tacklers with six and also deflected a pass. Towards the end of the third quarter, he also forced a fumble which was recovered by senior cornerback Courtney Eubanks, which led to a 49-yard field goal by redshirt sophomore kicker Kade Hensley.  

“Hawaii was a great experience,” Temoney said. “We had fun but we also knew we went there for business and we handled that. All that hard work we put in during the year, we were able to finish with a great win, something to build on going into next season.” 

As the roster shifts with the transfer portal, players graduating and moving on, as well as new freshmen coming in, the Chants will look to uphold their reputation and success in the 2024 season.