The Chanticleer’s take on the recent controversy

Frances Ludwig
The controversial beach photo posted to the Coastal Carolina University football team’s Instagram account in a different context. This editorial cartoon does not depict any specific members of The Chanticleer Girls dance team, nor of the football team.

Young women in bikinis posing around an older man– That’s an image we might expect to see in a music video or a beer commercial, not an official social media account operated by our University. 

When we look at this photo, we feel deeply uncomfortable. We see one of the most powerful men at our school, shirtless, hand wrapped around a student’s bare waist.  

Many others feel as we do, and because of these reactions, the post was deleted just three hours later.  

Football head coach Tim Beck responded to backlash by claiming it was a “spontaneous event.” Even if the media coordinator didn’t plan to get the dance team in matching swimwear for a photo-op with the head coach, that doesn’t make this “spontaneous” decision less weird.  

There are no other pictures of the dance team on the football team’s Instagram, but when their clothes are (mostly) off, they finally get a mention.  

As many are likely to point out, it’s just a photo, but a picture is worth a thousand words. It says the quiet part out loud — these women aren’t asked to perform in a male space because of their athletic or artistic abilities, but because they’re nice to look at. The photo has also reached national headlines, with thousands of people now knowing about our school for all the wrong reasons.  

Based on comments from those involved, the photo was not deleted because they realized it was a mistake, but because people responded negatively. It’s embarrassing that this is what our school is currently known for via sources including TMZ. 

In the future, we hope that women athletes at our University make headlines for their talent and accomplishments rather than their bodies for spectacle. 

Editorial policy for The Chanticleer 

The editorial page of Coastal Carolina University’s student newspaper, The Chanticleer, is committed to upholding the principles of free speech and open expression. It aims to foster a marketplace of ideas where individuals can share their thoughts, opinions and viewpoints freely. All editorials are merely the collective opinion of the editorial board of The Chanticleer, currently consisting of the members of the executive board. The editorial page and all content in The Chanticleer do not reflect the opinion of the reporting staff or of Coastal Carolina University. Contributors are encouraged to submit responsibly, ensuring accuracy and avoiding hate speech. The editorial team maintains independence, distinguishing between opinion and news, and reserves the right to edit for clarity while upholding a commitment to diverse perspectives. While the editorial page is a space for opinion pieces, factual accuracy remains crucial. Feedback from readers is welcome, promoting a dynamic exchange of ideas within a respectful and inclusive environment. This policy is subject to periodic review to ensure its continued relevance and effectiveness. 

View Comments (5)