THE CHANTICLEER

The Student Voice of Coastal Carolina University

THE CHANTICLEER

THE CHANTICLEER

Trouble in paradise

“Spontaneous” beach photo goes viral
Photo+provided+by+TMZ.+
TMZ
Photo provided by TMZ.

During Coastal Carolina University’s trip to Hawaii for the bowl game, the Chanticleer Girls dance team was seen posing in a photo on the beach with head football coach Tim Beck.  

The Instagram account for the Coastal football team proceeded to post what looked like a professional photo onto their official social media platforms. The post was ultimately deleted with a statement from the University on Dec. 20. 

“Coach Beck has stated that the photo was taken spontaneously while members of the University’s travel group were on the beach together. There was no intent to generate a particular response,” the statement read.  

Questions surrounding why the post was deleted even more debate among the CCU community, as well as others. The photo had so much media traction that it even gained coverage from platforms as large as TMZ, resulting in more people joining the conversation.  

The Chanticleer Girls’ coach Marla Sage explained how the innocent photo turned into much more. 

“The girls on their own decided they wanted to get matching bathing suits for the trip. They were out there, football was out there doing photos. We asked if he’d take a picture with us, and that’s the whole story,” Sage said. “Every kid wants a picture with their head football coach.” 

Students like Laken Franke, a freshman marine science major, were surprised by the post. 

“There was backlash about this 50-something-year-old man with a bunch of teenage girls in bikinis. It was kind of like an odd thing to see,”  Franke said. 

On the other hand, sophomore English major Kimora White felt it was a fitting photo for Coastal to use in terms of marketing. 

“It’s cute. They’re all smiling. I think it does show unity. It’s all matching,” White said. 

In an online poll posted to Instagram by The Chanticleer, 35% of students felt the post was inappropriate. Among those who felt this way is Thomas Hendrick, a freshman engineering science major, who said he saw a lot of negative comments on social media.  

“If the coach was like ‘hey will you guys do this’ then I feel like maybe that’s a little weird,” Hendrick said. “He’s an older dude with a bunch of young girls.” 

While the intent of the post is still unclear, the dance team emphasizes the spontaneous nature of the event. 

“We were on the beach, he was on the beach. We wear bathing suits on the beach. And we’re Coastal, we’re a beach school,” Sage said. 

12
View Comments (12)