THE CHANTICLEER

The Student Voice of Coastal Carolina University

THE CHANTICLEER

THE CHANTICLEER

South Carolina rivalry

CCU baseball hosted Clemson for annual 14-inning Pro Day
Redshirt+junior%0A+Chad+Born+up+to%0Abat+against+Clemson%0AUniversity+Oct.+14%0Ain+Springs+Brooks%0AStadium.+
Morgan Purkhiser
Redshirt junior Chad Born up to bat against Clemson University Oct. 14 in Springs Brooks Stadium.

Coastal Carolina University’s baseball team took on Clemson University at home for Pro Day on Oct. 14 at 4 p.m. 

Pro Day gives players the opportunity to be seen by professional baseball scouts. Both teams had more players than usual, including players who were recent graduates, new or transfer students, walk-ons or players graduating this fall. 

Attendance was free of charge, since tickets were not required for entry, and was open to the public. 

CCU started off strong during their first to bat in the bottom of the first inning, with a home run by leadoff Sebastian Alexander as designated hitter, normally an outfielder. Alexander’s hit tied the game, and multiple home runs following his, led to the inning ending with a score of 5-1 with Coastal taking the lead. 

Splitting the game into 7-inning increments, the Tigers and Chanticleers battled for 14 whole innings with a short break in between. As a result of their early lead and continuous momentum, The Chanticleers won the first game 12-6, but the Tigers eventually fought back resulting in an 8-8 tie to end the game. 

The continuous streak of success for Chanticleer baseball has brought both themselves and the University a wide range of players and students. 

Redshirt sophomore and infielder Ty Barrango, a transfer from a junior college in California, chose Coastal because it’s always been a dream school of his for baseball. Barrango has played since he was three to four years old, and said baseball gives him a purpose to get up and look forward to something. 

Barrango has several goals for this upcoming baseball season. 

“Hopefully winning a lot of games. Hopefully going to Omaha, that’s the end goal. Just playing well as a team, getting to know everybody and becoming closer to everybody,” Barrango said. 

Chad Born, redshirt junior outfielder has been playing baseball ever since he could walk. Born transferred to Coastal from University of Miami, an easy decision for him since baseball was the deciding factor. 

“From the facilities to the coaching and training staff, you could tell they cared about their players. And the most important piece was the desire and position Coastal is in, to go to Omaha,” Born said. “It would mean the world to me to make it to Omaha with this team and help bring another championship to this program.” 

Born said he thought the Clemson game was a lot of fun, and said it was a great feeling to be back on the field with his teammates for competition. He said this team is very talented and has the opportunity to do something special this year. 

“I’m looking forward to dog piling at Springs Brooks then heading to Omaha with this group of guys. We’ve put a huge target on our backs and set the standard incredibly high this year and I look forward to meeting that,” he said.