You Need to Calm Down, NFL fans

Taylor and Travis aren’t condoning excessive media coverage either

Imagine wanting to support your significant other at a football game. You walk into the game, sit with his mom, eat some chicken tenders and see your boyfriend win his game. 

The next morning, you wake up and are immediately hit with criticism for simply existing. 

Random, angry men who live and breathe football are slut-shaming you on Facebook, and the NFL has posted about a thousand TikTok videos about you. Then, just when you think it’s over, Hidden Valley Ranch is now using your name for clout. 

It’s easy to forget that these iconic names we hear and see on a screen are real people. 

It was funny to me to see how many NFL fans were mad about the over-saturation and coverage of Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s relationship. This is because the very organization those fans love, the NFL, were the ones that kept dragging her name around like a dog with a wet rag. 

According to NBC Sports, Kelce even criticized the media coverage himself. 

“At the same time, they’re overdoing it a little bit for sure. . . especially my situation. I think they’re trying to have fun with it,” Kelce said. 

Swift hasn’t posted anything on any kind of social media platform that has to do with Kelce or the NFL. Yet, she continues to be the one getting the most hate for the media coverage. 

Additionally, I think it’s funny when people have said things along the lines of “it’s so great that Taylor Swift put Travis Kelce on the map” all over social media in response to angry NFL fans. While Travis Kelce has had a very successful NFL career, being associated with Taylor Swift has benefitted him. TikTok User Vicky Sparks explained it best. 

“Her being in the stands at his game got the biggest ratings of the year,” she said, “her being in the stands of his game got the league that owns his team to turn their TikTok handle to Taylor’s version.” 

The first game Swift went to was the Kansas City Chiefs versus Chicago Bears game last month. After she was seen there, the NFL changed their TikTok bio to “9/24/23. Taylor was here,” but have since removed it. 

So, the next time you get annoyed at Travis or Taylor for the excessive media coverage, just know they’re probably more tired of it than you are.