Strikes for Students sells out fundraiser: 810 Billards & Bowling hosts RSM students

Photo by Maci Kaye Anderson

Students and Faculty bowl at the Strikes for Students event at 810 Billiards & Bowling on Nov. 9.

Recreation and Sports Management (RSM) students hosted their second Strikes for Students fundraiser that sold out all of 810 Billiards & Bowling on Nov. 9.

The event resulted in a successful full house of nearly 100 people. Some late participants were turned down because there were no more available spots in any of the lanes.

Coastal Carolina University students and faculty were invited to bowl for fun and had the option to enter competitions. Winners of the competitions received an 810 Billiards and Bowling gift card and a Strikes for Students trophy. Raffle prizes included Myrtle Beach Pelican Baseball seats, a signed Coastal Baseball with the team member’s signatures, rounds at Hackler Course with an included golf cart, and various Coastal Athletics sportswear.

All the proceeds from these activities went to Each 1 Teach 1 which is a student organization that inspires local Horry County High School students and hopes to be a resource to those students through peer mentoring. The organization aims to give students the college option after graduating when they otherwise might not see it as a possibility.

The donations help the program to have additional funding for programming, innovation academies, financial literacy, food, or other fees that go toward the high school students.

Director of Each 1 Teach 1 and marketing professor Matthew Gilbert said he believes this event was important so that students “can help other students across the county.”

“We are not isolated from the community or in a bubble. Everything that Coastal is, is because of where we are and there is a symbiotic relationship between the community and what we do on campus,” Gilbert said.

Students in RSM 490 (Program and Event Planning in Recreation and Sport) organized the promotions, operations, sponsorships, and fine details of the event.

“The Strikers” win first place in the teamed bowling competition at the
Strikes for Students event. (Photo by Maci Kaye Anderson)

Josh Calhoun, a senior recreation and sports management major, was the lead overseer and representative of the class.

“I hope [students] have a fun experience. [Students] show all of us care, and we enjoy interacting with them,” Calhoun said.

Recreation and sports management professor Don Rockey taught the class, and helped guide and instruct the students.

“It’s a combination of a lot of people working together to make these things go. It takes all of us,” Rockey said.

Rockey said if these students were to learn anything from applying their skills during the event, then it would be “the most gratifying thing to hear.