Large freshman class sets enrollment record: Housing and parking complications affect thousands of new students

The university broke fall enrollment records, reaching 2,700 first-year and more than 500 transfer students.

This increase in enrollment required housing accommodations and altered other procedures. The changes have caused some frustration with students.  

Heather Darcey, a junior transfer student, said commuting to school has been a struggle.  

“Being a part of such a large class was a shock coming from a technical college,” Darcey said. “I’m very excited to be here, but I thought I’d at least have somewhere to park.” 

Darcey said she understands why making the parking situation easier for students would be a challenge. On the other hand, as a commuter, the new housing arrangements do not affect her.  

Ethan Kaetzel, a junior transfer student, said he struggled to receive guaranteed on-campus housing. As a result, he applied to nearby apartment complexes and received one of the last rooms in his desired area. 

“I am living off campus, not necessarily by choice,” Kaetzel said. “Throughout my application process, I was told I would be able to live on campus, but by the beginning of August I was still waiting for answers.” 

Kaetzel said he talked to other students in similar positions, and he feared he might end up without a place to live. Although his first few experiences with the University were not what he expected, he said he enjoys his classes so far and looks forward to the school year.